Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Halloween Mantel Styling Tips



I just love this time of year! A few weeks ago I got out all of my Halloween decorations and decorated my mantel. I wanted to share a few tips and tricks that I've learned over the years and from trial and error. :)

1 - Anchor Piece. You need something to anchor everything and provide a good backdrop for your decor. I chose a mirror I already had since it wouldn't detract from everything else going on. It's large enough to pull everything together but also provide a neutral backdrop.


2 - Color Scheme. Try and stick to only a few colors to keep things looking uniform. A color scheme will make everything look intentional and cohesive. I chose silver, black & white, and pops of orange. Be sure to disperse the colors evenly throughout the mantel (i.e. don't have all the orange items on one side).


3 - Layer, layer, layer! Layering different items will add visual interest and keep your eye moving along the mantel. For instance, I layered the picture frame and banner on the mirror and I also layered lots of pumpkins and candles together. And then I finished everything off by layering in the leaf garland for added texture.


4 - Balance. Using odd numbers is usually a rule of thumb when it comes to decorating but you also want to achieve balance. Be careful with this one, you don't want to go too matchy-matchy! I used two large mercury glass pumpkins (different sizes) on each end of the mantel. I also used two mercury glass candlesticks with pumpkins set on top of them on either side of the mirror. These items create just enough balance to my mantel.


5 - Make it Unique. You want a variety of items to add interest to your mantel. I mainly used pumpkins but also added in framed art, the black crow and a few other odds and ends. As long as they fit in with your color scheme you can make most anything work!



6 - Handmade Touches. I love creating and adding handmade touches to my home, especially when it comes to holiday decorations! I made the 'eek' banner and the leaf garland from an old book I had lying around.



{Item Sources}
Antique Mercury Glass Pumpkins
Faux Black Crow
Halloween Chalkboard Printable Sign (FREE!)
Mercury Glass Flameless Candles



Do you have any tips when it comes to decorating your mantel for Halloween? Please share in the comments!

4 comments:

designwithj9 said...

Great tips Jessica. I love the banner!

gigisgoneshopping said...

Nice! This will definitely help me switch to fall, which I haven't done yet. I think I need to hit up TJ Maxx for a mirror.

Pal & Hatty said...

Great ideas! You are so creative and talented!

Kristine said...

Love your ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing!