Wednesday, October 23, 2013

DIY: Using Chalk Paint


I found this entry table on Craigslist a few years ago, and I've always wanted to paint it -- I just never got around to it (I'm sure you can relate!). Well, a few weeks ago I decided to tackle this long overdue project.

I've always wanted to try out chalk paint and I thought this would be the perfect piece for it. Chalk paint is not the same as chalkboard paint. It's a paint that makes transforming furniture easy as it needs no surface prep and dries to a chalk-like finish. I chose to work with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint since it has great reviews and a beautiful color selection. You can read more about her chalk paint here, as well as where to purchase it at a store near you.

Here are the supplies I used:
-Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen
-Annie Sloan Soft Wax
-cup to pour paint in
-old cotton rag*
-brush*

*a note on the brush and rag. It is recommended that when working with Annie Sloan's paint and wax that you use her brushes. Since these brushes are pricey (and I'm cheap!) I decided to use a regular paint brush. Here is a pic of the brush I used (and it worked great)...


So let's get started! Here's a pic of the dresser before:

As you can see below, the top of the dresser has a lot of scratches.

Now I know you don't have to do any prep work when using chalk paint. But a few of the reviews I read said that sometimes the finish can bleed through the paint. I didn't want that to happen so I lightly sanded the whole piece with my palm sander. I figured it couldn't hurt and it would help to smooth out all of those scratches on the top. As you can see I didn't completely remove the stain, I just lightly sanded it.

Then I taped off the inside so I'd have nice clean paint lines.

Then I got to painting! First pour some paint into another cup. You don't want to paint directly from the can as the paint can dry out easily (if this happens, just add a little water). When painting the first coat you don't have to worry about being nice and neat. You can just slap on the paint. I even had my 3 year old help!

Here's how it looked after the 1st coat.

You can see the brush strokes...

After the 1st coat dried (which doesn't take long) I started with the 2nd coat. Now when doing the 2nd coat you will want to use some water. Just fill up another cup with water and dip your brush into the water and then into the paint. This will help you achieve a super smooth finish. The paint almost melted into the furniture and dried really smooth with minimal brush strokes.

You should only need two coats of paint. After it dries (I waited a day) you can apply the wax. I used an old cotton rag and applied the wax in circular motions. The wax is like lotion, only so much can be absorbed into the paint. Here is what my piece now looks like:

I LOVE it! I would definitely recommend painting with chalk paint. It was super easy and fast. I've stripped and re-stained furniture before and it takes hours and hours. This project was so fast and only took me about 3 hours to sand, paint two coats, and apply the wax.


The color is pretty accurate in the photos; I used French Linen and it's the perfect grey-ish beige, or greige if you will. And I'm in love with the matte finish! I didn't distress my piece at all since I just wanted a nice clean finish. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is a little pricey, but to me it's worth it. You don't have to buy a primer and it saves you so much time and effort!


So if you have an old piece of furniture that needs a quick and easy facelift, check out Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

Plus, I only used about 1/4 of the can to do this dresser so I'm already looking around the house to see what else I can paint with it. :)

And here's the before and after again...
{BEFORE}


{AFTER}

9 comments:

Leah said...

LOVE this, Jessica! I have an end table I need to paint and possibly a few other pieces in my home. I think I'm going to have to check this out! Great tutorial.

Silver Lining Decor said...

LOVE!! As much furniture that I paint, I have yet to use chalk paint. Definitely want to try it out. The transformation of this piece is awesome! Love that blue wall color, too :)

Pal & Hatty said...

Wow - I'm impressed! That turned out great! The "how to" steps are very helpful!

Katie said...

Looks awesome! I will have to try it!

Katie said...

Looks awesome! I will have to try it!

Reuben Collins said...

Good work. It looks great.

Reuben Collins said...

Good work. It looks great.

Reuben Collins said...

Good work. It looks great.

Leah said...

I had a stand I wanted to paint gray and when I got home last night, my husband was already working on it for me! Now I have a "new" piece in my living room - recreated from an old telephone stand we've had since 2002! :) Thank you again for the inspiration!