Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Painted Rug Reveal and Tutorial

It's finally done folks. After many late nights and many sore muscles I'm really happy with how it turned out. We all love a good before and after shot so here you go...

{BEFORE}

{AFTER}

Now I know there are a lot of tutorials out there but I'll just go ahead and show you how I did mine. First I made my own stencil. I know I could have purchased one but I'm cheap so I decided to make my own. Most stencils I saw were going for around $50+ and I made mine for about $12. That and I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, which was this Moroccan tile pattern...


HOW I MADE MY OWN STENCIL

1. I got the thickest poster board I could find at Michael's craft store. It was seriously thick but I knew that it had to hold up to the paint and not fall apart.

2. Find the pattern you want and print it. I used the Moroccan tile pattern above and blew it up in Photoshop. Since my overall pattern was larger than a piece of paper I had to select areas to print and then piece and tape them together.

3. Cut out the pattern and trace it onto your poster board. Since I just needed the white part to make the stencil, I cut that out and traced it onto my poster board.

4. Cut out the pattern using an exacto knife. This part was difficult and took me awhile since the poster board was so thick. I had to cut every single cut at least 3-4 times to make it through the poster board.

And man did "my fingers hurt", I felt like the elderly lady from Happy Gilmore!

HOW I PAINTED MY RUG

First off, you can't paint just any old rug. You need something that is a natural fiber and I think sisal works best (please don't try to paint over a carpet rug, it won't work!). I got my rug from Pottery Barn a few years ago but it looks like they still sell it here. I also know that IKEA sells some pretty cheap sisal rugs called Egeby. And FYI my rug is 5' x 8'

1. Paint your rug. I wanted the rug to be gray with the white stencil so I first painted it three coats with the grey paint (I used Behr Anonymous and I used almost a gallon of paint). I used a water based semi-gloss paint since it would be easy to clean and would hold up to the foot traffic.

2. Now for the fun part. Line up your stencil and start painting with the white paint (I used Behr Ultra Pure White and I used less than a quart). Be sure to get it as straight as you can, you don't want a crooked pattern! I used one of those small edge rollers and just rolled over the stencil. I found that by not pressing too hard was the way to go, otherwise it just bled everywhere and didn't give me a smooth edge. Keep in mind that this just gave me a rough outline of the pattern.

3. Once I had my entire rug stenciled with the rough outline I had to go back and "fill in" the stencil with the white paint. I basically had to hand paint it with a small craft brush. Even though this was very time consuming it was the only way to get the results that I wanted.

4. Then I went back and cleaned up the edges again with the grey paint. I had a lot of spots where the white paint bled too far into the grey that I had to touch up. Again, time consuming but the result was well worth the effort. And anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge perfectionist so I kind of enjoy doing tedious tasks like this! :)

5. Lastly, I sprayed a coat of clear gloss protective finish over the entire rug. I wanted to give it some sort of a protective coat.

So that's it! Again, it took a lot of time but I'm so pleased with how it turned out! Would I do it again? Absolutely! In fact, I have a smaller 3' x 5' rug from IKEA that I want to paint for my kitchen!

Total cost was $125. The rug was $80 (which I bought 4+ years ago) and the paint and supplies were about $45. A steal if you ask me! Total time this project took was about 18 hours, don't attempt this project unless you are super patient and willing to put in the time and effort!

And here's some final shots of how the rug looks in my space...


16 comments:

Jess said...

That is fantastic! You must have a pretty steady hand to go over after the stencil. It looks great with your dining set, how does it feel underfoot?

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, that's beautiful!!! You're perfectionism certainly paid off! Congrats:)

Peggy said...

wow, wow, wow! Fab! Those are the chairs I want for my kitchen -where did you get yours?

TaraMixandMatch said...

Um, awesome...enough said :)

Jessica said...

Jess - the rug feels good. It feels pretty much the same as it did before I painted it, not too stiff or anything. If anything it's less scratchy than it was before I painted it. It did feel a little bit sticky the first day after I painted it but that quickly went away.

Peggy - I got mine on overstock. They are the knock-off of the original Eames. I think overstock calls them the Ronnie wire base chairs or something like that.

Leah said...

This looks like a lot of work, but it turned out SO GOOD! Beautiful rug and perfect fit for your kitchen!!

Sandrine said...

Nice! Thank you for sharing, I am taking notes ;)

Jaime said...

I love the rug! I am seriously impressed. And your kitchen table is so cute too.

GinaBean said...

amazing, it's beautiful!

cmf221 said...

that's beautiful!

Silver Lining Decor said...

I am so in love with this!! I have actually been eyeing a stencil almost identical to that one from an etsy seller to use for my stair risers. I'm going to order it soon and will share the results on my blog ;) Thanks for the tutorial on this-I hope to do it at some point!!

Rose said...

Rug looks great!

Jenni said...

You are totally amazing..I adore this! It looks so cute in your space too. Thanks for sharing!!

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

What an absolutely picture-perfect rug. It is stunning, Jessica! I love everything, from the color scheme to the geometric pattern, to where you placed it under your table. I have been looking for a rug for my breakfast look, but all the ones I like are too pricey. I think I'll try this out over Christmas!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

Totally Pinned this! <3 I love love love the pattern you chose and made for the rug -- and the time and effort you put it yielded the most gorgeous results! =) Thinking of trying this out sometime! I bought a rug that looks uuuuber similar to this but much smaller (2x3) and i love it so much I want to make a big one like yours now! =) Thanks for the inspiration, i'll let you know if I get around to the project!

xoXOxo
Jenn

Molly Munslow said...

This is so cool! Have to try this!

check out my blog?
mollymunslow.blogspot.co.uk