Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sarah's House - The Kitchen

Lately I've been obsessed with watching Sarah's House on HGTV. Unlike other design shows, it documents the whole design process with the good, the bad and and the frustrations along the way. This past season she renovated a century-old farmhouse some three hours outside of Toronto. Sarah gutted the entire house and added an edition that doubled the size.


She almost always designs an entire room around one fabric that inspires her. She also uses white as a backdrop to mix and match many patterns in one room.

I love all of the modern elements mixed with vintage touches. Here she used a vintage mercury glass pendant light above the sink and vintage yellow brackets to create a perfect display shelf.


The cabinets are from Ikea, custom spray-lacquered and doubled up to reach the ceiling.

There is this cute little seating area at the end of the island. I adore that old lunch sign.

How cute are these numbered steps!

Stay tuned next week, we'll take a look at the kids bedrooms!

{all photos HGTV Canada}

9 comments:

Leah said...

I love all things home remodel :-) I need all the inspiration I can find come August when we hope to move into our "new" home. I love how neutral the color scheme is in the pics. Speaking of which, what color is the all painted (blue-ish gray?) where you normally stand to take your outfit picture? I love the contrast with the white trim in your home!

triciathomas said...

I love those cloth chairs!!! I think the number on the stairs is such a cute idea!

Ashley- Anthropologie Girl said...

Hi Jessica. I am also obsessed with Sara's House right now!!! I love, love watching her redo her home. Did you catch the nursery redo where they put different font ABC's around the room? It was soooo cute. Anyway, I am glad that you are loving this show too!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I've only caught one episode so far (when she redid two guest bedrooms) and that gal has some EYE for mixing patterns and textures. I wish I had enough money for her to come visit me!

Jan Russell said...

I could most definitely feel at home in that kitchen - wow, I love it!

Jessica said...

Leah - the color on my wall is called creek bend by Behr and it is definitely a true grey. I'll have to look up the lighter grey color that we used for the stripe.

libys11 said...

love it!!! the polka dot chairs.. the numbered stairs, aaahh!!! fun! :D

Animated Confessions

Jess said...

That kitchen is amazing. Love the pendant lights!

Jessica Rae said...

i loove all these pictures! so fabulous :) make me wanna do some redecorating! such fun ideas, where do you find all these ideas?

jessica rae